Friday 27 January 2012

Millennium Restaurant in San Francisco

I was very excited about a work-related trip to San Francisco, because I know the city is very vegetarian friendly. A friend and I made a point of trying a number of vegetarian restaurants there and we were not disappointed.

One night we treated ourselves to a more upscale meal, at the gourmet Millennium Restaurant. It’s situated in the Hotel California, the lobby of which has California-related lyrics stencilled all over it.

The meal started with bread served with a lentil spread. My friend told me he hated lentils and never ate them, so I deliberately didn’t let him find out what the spread was. He wolfed it up and said how much he enjoyed it and was shocked when he found out that it was made of lentils. I already knew I liked lentils, but this spread was indeed special.

Appetizers included fried green tomatoes and a spinach salad with smoked tofu. My main was seared tempeh served with grits, a peach sauce, and loads of tasty veg, while my friend had cornmeal-crusted zucchini/courgette (he told me how much he disliked polenta and was surprised to learn that cornmeal was polenta!). We couldn’t resist dessert. My friend had a peach cornmeal cake (since now he knew he liked cornmeal) and I had a chocolate almond cake to satisfy my chocolate-loving taste buds.

Everything tasted really fresh and delicious and it was great to be able to order anything we wanted from the menu and to know it was vegetarian, organic, and healthy. My friend and I were glad we treated ourselves and we’d definitely recommend the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment