Saturday 24 August 2013

Weekend

Why are films featuring gay men often better than those featuring gay women? That’s something I’ve wondered as I’ve seen bad lesbian film after bad lesbian film. If it’s got a teacher-student plot, it’s probably a (bad) lesbian movie. If one character abuses her position of power to seduce the other, it’s probably a (bad) lesbian movie.

I was thus excited by Weekend. It’s about a guy called Russ who has a one-night stand that turns into something more. I loved how the film was intense and sweet, and it really portrayed that early-relationship awkwardness. I also liked that the film was romantic but not overly so, and it didn’t have the expected ending.

The one thing that I didn’t like was the sheer amount of drugs and alcohol in the film. Maybe it’s realistic to the gay scene and the twenty-something age group, but I felt that the two men could have had the same experiences with just a bit less alcohol and cocaine running through them.


I wish there’d be more lesbian films like this, with strong, believable, likeable characters, and an interesting storyline. Until then, I’m going to have to keep watching films like Weekend, and I’ll keep an eye out for its director, Andrew Haigh, and leading actors, Tom Cullen and Chris New.

No comments:

Post a Comment