Thursday 29 August 2013

Welsh Cakes

I used to live in Wales and going to the market to buy warm Welsh cakes was a treat. I’ve since learned that they probably use lard, so I won’t be going back any time soon, but I can make them at home myself.

You can serve them with jam or honey, if you prefer.

Ingredients:
110 g flour
40 g sugar, plus extra for sprinkling (or use icing sugar to sprinkle)
½-1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon (or mixed spice)
50 g butter or margarine, plus extra for frying
35 g raisins or sultanas
1 egg
1 dash milk, if needed

Instructions:
1. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon together.
2. Cube the butter or margarine and add it, mixing with your hands until well blended (or put it in a food processor).
3. Add the raisins and egg.
4. Roll out the dough and cut into rounds.
5. Heat the extra butter or margarine in a heavy pan and cook the cakes for 2-4 minutes on each side.

6. Sprinkle with sugar and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment