Saturday 15 February 2014

Sourdough Starter


The longer you leave it, the sourer the flavour. Often, the first breads you make with it don’t taste that sour, so keep trying. If it gets a strange colour, do not use it. It should be brownish-grey.

 

Remember to add back whatever you use from it. So if you use 100 g, add another 100 g flour and 100 g water.

 

Ingredients:

1 tbsp fast-action dried yeast

250 g flour

475 ml lukewarm water

 

Instructions:

1. Mix the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.

2. Cover and leave in a warm place for 4-8 days, until it has developed a sour smell.

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to make my own starter but I am so confused. After 24 hours it was bubbly and had a slight scent, but hadn't grown in size except perhaps a few mm. I then disposed half and added the flour and water slurry and did the same 12 hours later...each time the bubbles are their but it hasn't grown, and it still has a scent. Some bubbles even kid of separated and were sticky from the edge of the jar. I tried baking with it and it never rose...well..okay, when I made it into a sponge is the only time it rose. I made a new starter from scratch and feed it every 24 hours instead but still the same issues. Plus once I add/feed it, all bubbles vanish. Eek! Any clue what is wrong?

    ReplyDelete