Friday 27 June 2014

Homemade Wheat Thins


One of my favourite crackers when I was little was Wheat Thins. I’ve spent a large part of my life in countries where you couldn’t buy Wheat Thins, so I’ve had to learn how to make them myself.

 

Here is a recipe for homemade Wheat Thins. If you want, you can make them only with whole-wheat flour, but because M has trouble with whole-wheat, I mix two types of flour.

 

Ingredients:

¾ cup white flour

½ cup spelt flour

1¼ tbsp sugar

¼ tsp vanilla extract (strange, yes, but it does add to the flavour)

½ tsp paprika

1 tsp salt, plus more to sprinkle on top

5 tbsp sunflower oil (or butter or margarine, if you prefer)

¼ cup cold water

 

Instructions:

1. Mix all the ingredients together in a food processor.

2. Roll out in batches on a floured surface. Roll as thin as you can. We thought about putting it in our pasta maker, but we thought it would be too wet for it.

3. Cut into squares (or whatever shape you want). Prick each square with a fork once or twice. Sprinkle with more salt.

4. Bake at 200 C for 5 minutes. Check and if it needs a little more time, put it on for another minute or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment