Saturday 27 April 2013

Granola


I like having granola for breakfast, but most ready-made granolas include honey, which I am allergic to, or other items I don’t want to eat, plus they’re expensive. So I tried making it myself and it turned out quite well.

Ingredients:
1 cup dried fruit (raisins, apricots, prunes, cherries, etc)
water
1 cup nuts (I’ve tried hazelnuts and almonds)
2½ cups oats (or 2 cups oats, ½ cup quinoa flakes)
¼ - ½ cup seeds (I used pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds)
¼ cup sugar
½ tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup vegetable oil
¼ cup maple syrup (perhaps agave or honey would work as well)

Instructions:
1. Chop the fruit, then place it in hot water for 10 or so minutes, so it plumps up.
2. Chop the nuts. Mix them with all the other ingredients.
3. Make sure everything gets coated with the oil and maple syrup.
4. Put a piece of parchment paper or baking paper on a baking tray, then spread the oat mixture on it in a thick layer.
5. Bake for 20 minutes at 160 C, then rotate the tray, and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
6. Leave to cool, then break up the granola into whatever size pieces you prefer. Drain the fruit and add it. Store in Tupperware or similar.
7. Serve with milk, as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment