Tuesday 3 February 2015

Persian Rice



Often, when I’ve had dinner at a Persian restaurant or at a Persian person’s home, I’ve admired the rice. It is usually really fluffy, with one crispy layer. I wanted to know how to do it.

So now, after reading Veggiestan, I’ve learned. M didn’t like the crispy layer (more for me!) but if you forgo the oil and just follow the rest of the instructions, you’ll get a lovely pile of fluffy rice.

You can also put something in between the oil and rice, such as potatoes.

Ingredients:
rice (I usually go for about 50 g per person)
water
oil

Instructions:
1. Rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
2. Boil the water and then cook the rice in it for 6-8 minutes.
3. Drain the rice (not in a colander, unless you have one with tiny holes).
4. Pour the oil in the bottom of the pan and warm. Add a couple of tablespoons of water.
5. Layer the rice in carefully.
6. Make several big holes through the rice to the bottom of the pan.
7. Wrap the lid of the pan in a clean cloth, then put the lid on.
8. Steam the rice for 25-35 minutes, until cooked and fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment