Friday 21 January 2011

Cherry Yogurt Bread

I saw a recipe not long ago for a cinnamon streusel coffee cake. That sounded appealing, but I didn’t just want a doughy loaf, so I decided to add fruit. Blueberries would have worked well, but I just had frozen cherries and since they taste good in bread too, I went for those. And I skipped the streusel, in part because it’s just more work, but also because it called for walnuts, and M is allergic to them. Besides, I liked the idea of a soft bread/cake only with cherries, yogurt, and spices, and without a grainy or sandy layer on top. That’s often what happens for me – I get inspiration from a recipe but then change it dramatically.

This recipe makes two loaves, so you can give one away or freeze it for a lazy Sunday morning. It’s great with tea or coffee.

Ingredients:
100 g butter
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
½ tsp salt
1½ cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1¾ cups yogurt
1½ cups frozen cherries (other fruit can be substituted)

Instructions:
1. Melt the butter.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and sugar.
3. Beat the eggs, then mix with the vanilla and yogurt and add to the dry ingredients. Add the butter. Mix well.
4. Add the cherries and mix them in.
5. Bake at 180 C for 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment