Saturday 29 January 2011

Flourless Chocolate Soufflés

A few years ago, I took a pottery course at a studio outside the city where I lived. Every week, we took turns bringing in treats that we had with tea halfway through the class. I noticed that one woman, who was gluten-intolerant, never got to partake in the desserts. So when it was my week to bring in the treats, I determined to bring something everything could eat.

I decided to make flourless dark chocolate muffins/cupcakes. So I created this recipe and brought the treats to class. The woman was shocked and touched that she could finally be part of our class snack. Frankly, I was surprised no one had bothered to consider her before (the same people had been taking the class for years together; I was the only new student, and I was also the youngest by about, oh, 30 years).

If you pour the batter into ramekins and bake them just before serving them, they puff up beautifully as soufflés, and this sight often impresses guests, which is why I made them last weekend when M and I had friends over for dinner. But, as I did a few years ago, you can also make them as muffins/cupcakes and bring them along to an event. Either way, people will be pleasantly surprised to learn that this treat is completely gluten-free.

Ingredients:
200 g dark chocolate (50-75% cacao)
130 g butter
¾ cup sugar
pinch of salt
4 eggs, room temperature
optional flavouring (almond, vanilla, cognac, chile, cinnamon, etc)
whipped cream to serve with it

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 180 C.
2. Break chocolate into pieces and melt it with the butter in the microwave or on the stove.
3. Add the sugar and salt to the melted mixture. Remove from the heat and let cool down.
4. While cooling, beat the eggs.
5. When the mixture is cool, add the eggs and blend.
6. Add any flavourings now or else in step 8 (if flavouring them individually).
7. Spoon the batter into ramekins or muffin papers or tins.
8. Add any flavourings desired individually.
9. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
10. Serve warm. Whipped cream or other cream can go well.

No comments:

Post a Comment