Sunday 1 July 2012

Mushroom and Tofu Stir-Fry


I used to think I didn’t like mushrooms, but M convinced me to give them another try and I have found I really do enjoy them. I use them in omelettes and stir-fries and with pasta quite a bit. Here I’ve cooked them with tofu, but my beloved can no longer eat soya products, so I can’t make this anymore.

You can easily vary the seasoning by varying the sauces. I loved ume plums (sour plums) in Japan, so I was pleased when I found the ume plum sauce at my local vegetarian store. It adds a distinct tang and is good as a salad dressing or in dishes such as this one.

Ingredients:
oil
1 tsp honey or sugar
¼-½ cabbage
1 handful mushrooms (about 5-8)
200 g tofu
soy or tamari sauce
plum sauce or ume plum seasoning, optional
noodles

Instructions:
1. Heat the oil over low heat and add the honey.
2. Wash and slice the cabbage and mushrooms and fry them in the oil and honey until the mushrooms are darkening, about 5-8 minutes.
3. Chop the tofu and add it to the pan.
4. Season with soy, tamari, and/or plum sauce as desired.
5. Add the noodles and stir for another minute or two, then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment