Wednesday 29 May 2013

Egg Foo Young


This is a traditional Chinese-American dish, so I grew up eating. It comes with a thick, brown sauce, almost like gravy. I got a taste for it suddenly when my mother mentioned having shrimp egg foo young for lunch, so I made a vegetarian version.

 

This recipe made 8 patties, and eating even 2 is very filling.

 

Ingredients:

2- 2½  cups vegetables (I used 1 cup cabbage, 1 celery stalk, 2 spring onions, ½ cup bean sprouts, and mushrooms)

oil

7 eggs

1¼ cup water

1 tbsp corn starch (or flour)

½ bouillon cube

1 tbsp soy sauce (I left this out as M can’t eat soy, but if you add it, it will be more “traditional” and murkier)

1 tsp ginger, optional (I used this to brighten up the flavour)

1 pinch lime leaves, optional (I used this to brighten up the flavour)

 

Instructions:

1. Wash and chop the vegetables. If using vegetables such as cabbage and onion, fry them lightly in oil for a few moments.

2. Whisk the eggs and add all the vegetables. Distribute the vegetables evenly.

3. Fry patties a couple at a time in a little oil.

4. Start the sauce by first making a smooth paste with ¼ cup water and the corn starch or flour.

5. When it’s completely smooth, add the rest of the water, the bouillon, and the soy sauce. If using the ginger and lime leaves, add them too. Cook over low heat, whisking frequently, for a few minutes, until it thickens.

6. Serve the patties with the sauce over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment