Monday 4 April 2011

Spelt Pasta with Vegetable Sauce

After giving a talk in a nearby town, I stopped at a nearby posh grocery store. There, I found lots of miniature vegetables, which I guess people think are cuter and perhaps taste sweeter. A package of baby leeks was on sale, so I grabbed it. At home, I made a light, spring-like pasta sauce with the leeks and I included a bunch of asparagus M got at a local farm stand the other day. The dinner was very healthy (except for the fatty cheddar cheese, I guess) and M pronounced it “lovely”.

Ingredients:
5 baby leeks or 1 large one
olive oil
1 tsp sugar
5-8 cherry tomatoes
150 g spelt pasta
water
1 handful black olives
2 containers crushed tomatoes
1 bunch asparagus
cheddar cheese

Instructions:
1. Wash and chop the leek/s. Fry them lightly in olive oil and add the sugar.
2. Wash and halve the cherry tomatoes and add them to the leek/s.
3. Set the pasta to boil in the water.
4. Meanwhile, halve the olives and add them and the tomatoes to the leek/s.
5. When the pasta is almost done, add the asparagus to the pot. Boil for two more minutes. Drain the pasta and asparagus together.
6. Add the sauce to the pasta. Grate cheddar cheese over and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment