Friday 3 June 2011

Braised Lettuce

I was inspired by a recipe in the May issue of Delicious, but that recipe used bacon, which obviously I won’t cook with. So I adapted the recipe to vegetarian tastes and also used what I had around (onions rather than shallots, for example). I served it with the new Tesco vegetarian “chicken breast” for a simple meal. As with the Tesco “lamb” burger, I can’t say I thought the chicken was fantastic, but I like trying new meat-free products.

Ingredients:
2 onions
oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp vegetable bouillon
200 ml water
black pepper
smoked paprika
2 little gem lettuces
cream

Instructions:
1. Dice the onions and fry them in the oil. Add the sugar after a few moments.
2. When the onions have caramelised, add the vegetable bouillon, stir, then add the water. Cook for a few moments, and season with pepper and paprika.
3. Wash and halve the little gems. Oil and oven-safe dish and place them in there.
4. Pour the onion mixture and the cream over the lettuce.
5. Cover the dish with aluminium foil. Bake for about 35 minutes at 180 C.

No comments:

Post a Comment