Sunday 19 June 2011

Starring...Radish

When I was young, I wasn’t really exposed to radish, so the vegetable often seemed strange and inaccessible to me in some way. Luckily, I’ve given in to curiosity and begun using them.

They have a nice crispness and a slightly sharp, almost peppery flavour. They work in salads, of course – you just slice a few and toss them with lettuce, cucumber, celery, avocado, or whatever else you want in there. But I’ve also been pleasantly surprised to see how well suited radish is to stir-fries. I add a few slices towards the end of the cooking process so they retain their crunch and add a strong, biting undertone.

I’ve recently also gotten the idea of adding some radish to a loaf of bread. I can imagine the flavours working together. But I haven’t yet tried it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment