Friday 5 November 2010

Chocoholics 'R Us

I do love dark chocolate, I must admit, and Valrhona was my favourite brand for years. I happened to be in Brussels when Valrhona was opening a shop there, and I definitely went wild. The staff there began to recognise me, because I went to the store once a day during my stay in Belgium.

However, in the past few months, M has spoiled me by getting me two fantastic vegan chocolates. They are incredibly delicious, and my old stand-by Valrhona is getting left in the dairy-filled dust.

The first one is Booja Booja, a company that makes chocolate truffles. The espresso truffles are great, with just a slight coffee jolt, and the hazelnut crunch truffles taste like the poshest Nutella ever. I was stunned when I figured out that there was no dairy at all in these truffles, because they are so smooth and creamy. Just today, M brought me a Booja Booja sampler pack, and I've been snacking on flavours such as champagne, ginger wine, and bananas flambéed in cognac (it tastes like Bananas foster). Yum!

The best chocolate bars ever have to be by Conscious Chocolate. Not only are these bars vegan, they’re also raw, and they come in a wonderful range of flavours. I’m partial to the Healthy Heart flavour, which has algae in it, and to the bar with goji berries and coconut in it, but there are still more fascinating flavours that I’ve yet to try (it’s not easy to find them around here). Conscious chocolate bars are silky and lush, and just one little bite is enough to satisfy my chocolate urge for the day. I could quite happily live off them.

I heartily recommend both these brands, because their dark chocolate is amazingly flavourful and rich. I love that they’re vegan, but I would certainly give them to anyone, regardless of whether that person was vegetarian or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment