Friday 26 November 2010

Fennel and Brussels Sprouts

‘Tis the season for Brussels sprouts, a vegetable I’ve never particularly liked. That’s probably because my mother boiled them until mushy, then plopped margarine on them. Not exactly a delicious dish, although my mother’s cooking is generally pretty tasty, albeit meat-centred (which sadly means I don’t eat it these days).

But I thought it was high time I tried these veg again and now that every grocery store is pushing them, I finally caved and got some. Rather than boil them, I decided to shred them and then fry them lightly with garlic and fennel. This served to create an aromatic side dish that helped to banish my memories of margarine-covered mush.

Ingredients:
1 fennel
2 garlic cloves
1 package Brussels sprouts
olive oil
sea salt

Instructions:
1. Chop the fennel and the garlic. Either shred the Brussels sprouts or chop them finely.
2. Fry all the vegetables in olive oil for 5-8 minutes, then season with salt and serve as a side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment