Tuesday 23 November 2010

Endives in a Citrus Sauce

Endives (also known as chicory) are quite bitter, so when I cook them, I like to add sugar, agave, or honey to tame some of that bitterness. Thus I was intrigued by a recipe I noticed for braised endives with tangerines. I thought the bright citrus notes would definitely work against the sharpness of the endives. It only took a few minutes to put this dish together and it was a simple dinner on an evening when I was exhausted. If I’d had more energy, I would have made it as a side dish and served it with something like a chickpea stew.

Ingredients:
2 endives
water
sea salt
olive oil
3 clementines (or 2 tangerines or 1 orange)
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp sugar
black pepper

Instructions:
1. Wash and chop the endives, then boil them in the water with sea salt for about 5 minutes.
2. Drain the endives and put them in an oiled casserole dish. Peel and segment the clementines.
3. Pour the juice and more oil over the endives, then sprinkle with sugar. Braise in the oven at 175 C for about 10 minutes.
4. Add the citrus segments and season with salt and pepper. Toss to mix. Braise for another 10 minutes, then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment