Sunday 14 November 2010

Kale, Tofu, and Coconut

Greens are great. I’m especially partial to spinach (I don’t agree with Douglas Florian’s anti-spinach poem, funny though it is!), but sometimes I think I should try some other greens. They’re healthy and flavourful. So the other day, I was tempted by a package of kale at the supermarket. I fried it lightly in rice bran oil and mixed it with toasted coconut and tofu, then served it over whole-grain rice. Kale and coconut go well together, crispy with just a touch of sweetness. I added chilli sauce, of course, but it was good and hearty without it too.

Ingredients:
1 package tofu
½ cup unsweetened coconut pieces
1 package (about 200 g) kale or other green
oil
rice to serve with it

Instructions:
1. Bake the tofu at 200 C for 15 minutes. You can also skip this step and just add the tofu to the pan later, but I like baked tofu.
2. Lightly toast the coconut in a dry frying pan over low heat for a few minutes.
3. Wash the kale and fry it in the oil in a pan until slightly crispy. Mix it with the coconut and add the tofu.
4. Stir-fry for another 5-10 minutes, then serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment