Sunday 13 February 2011

Ode to the Sous Chef

It was on this day that I met M, so I want to take a moment to write an ode to my beloved sous chef.

What is a sous chef? The sous chef (full title: sous-chef de cuisine) is the second-in-command in the kitchen. This is the person who works with the executive chef, helping, supporting, preparing, and generally doing everything that needs to be done. The kitchen simply wouldn’t function without the sous chef.

I do most of the cooking at home. But that doesn’t mean that M doesn’t play an essential role. She does most of the shopping and she is always eager to help chop vegetables and prepare the ingredients for me. She also cleans up, usually fixing the messes I’ve made. She takes out the rubbish much more often than I do. She takes care of things and makes sure everything is running smoothly around our little Veggie Dyke home. I wouldn’t get to have the fun cooking and baking that I do if it weren’t for her.

But that’s just in the kitchen. M plays this same role in general. She is always supporting and helping me. She never gets enough credit (just as the executive chef always gets the attention while the sous chef is underappreciated) and I probably don’t thank her enough or tell her often enough how great she is. She makes my life better in every possible way.

So here’s to my sous chef, my partner in the kitchen and everywhere else – I love you!

2 comments: