Friday 11 February 2011

Vanilla Whipped Cream

When I was an undergraduate, I used to spend a lot of time hanging around a coffee shop near my university. In fact, that’s where I met my first girlfriend, but that’s a different story. Anyway, this coffee shop had fantastic whipped cream. The people who worked at the counter noticed how often I came in and they used to start getting my drink ready once they saw my car pull into the lot. And my drink always had extra whipped cream.

Once I asked what the secret was to this addictive whipped cream and one of the workers said it was vanilla. Since then, when I serve whipped cream, such as with my flourless chocolate soufflés, I have always added just a touch of vanilla. It gives the whipped cream that extra little je ne sais quoi.

Ingredients:
300 ml double cream
1 tbsp sugar (to taste)
1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla sugar (use the seeds from half a real vanilla pod, if you feel like splurging)

Instructions:
1. Mix the cream with the sugar and vanilla with a hand blender until fluffy. Adjust the sweetness according to your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment