Wednesday 27 October 2010

French Toast

Due to all the bread-and-butter pudding I’ve been making for my beloved lately, I’ve had more white bread around than is usually the case. So to use it up, I decided to make French toast for breakfast. I emailed a friend about my French toast, but I accidentally wrote “toes” instead of “toast.” I should point out that toes are definitely not vegetarian! However, French toast is, and it’s a great breakfast for a leisurely weekend morning. I like to serve it with sliced bananas or other fruit, and it can be topped with icing sugar or maple syrup or anything else you like.

Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 orange
seeds from ½ vanilla pod (or use vanilla extract or vanilla sugar)
½ cup flour
1 cup double cream (milk works fine too)
8 slices of white bread (the best type to use is challah, if you can get it, but any plain white bread will do)
butter
fruit to serve with it
sugar, icing sugar, cinnamon, honey, maple syrup, or other toppings, according to taste

Instructions:
1. Whisk the eggs. Grate the peel from the orange into the eggs, then add juice from half the orange. Save the other half to serve with the French toast or eat it as is.
2. Add the vanilla seeds, flour, and cream, and mix well, not allowing any lumps.
3. Dip the bread slices into the batter and fry them in butter until golden.
4. Serve with fruit and the toppings of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment