Sunday 10 October 2010

Strapatsada, or Eggs with Tomatoes

Yesterday both M and I woke up feeling ill. I’ve been sick for the past couple of weeks, and I must have passed it on to my sweetie.

Being sick requires serious comfort food, I think, so as we were beginning to consider breakfast options, I remembered a recipe I’d seen in Jamie Oliver’s Jamie magazine last week. It was for a dish called strapatsada, and Jamie expressed surprise that there good be a good breakfast dish without bacon.

Jamie’s version called for tomatoes stewed in olive oil for 30 minutes and then scrambled with eggs and oregano. I’m not a fan of oregano, so I replaced it with parsley, and I also wanted something that would be ready a bit quicker, so I skipped the long cooking time. Jamie’s recipe suggested 2 garlic cloves, but since I like garlicky flavours, I upped it to 3 and also added 2 onions. And to add an extra bit of comfort, I used some single cream as well.

I served it with bread that had been toasted with brie on it, which make it pleasantly gooey. M and I thought it was a tasty, soothing breakfast. Just the way breakfast should be!

Ingredients:
2 onions
3 garlic cloves
olive oil
½ tbsp sugar
6 tomatoes
5 eggs
¼ cup single cream
1 tsp parsley (or oregano, if you prefer; dried, frozen or fresh, but use more if you use fresh)
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
1. Chop the onions and garlic.
2. Fry the onions and garlic until soft in the olive oil in a frying pan. After a few minutes, add the sugar and stir.
3. Chop the tomatoes into segments and add to the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
4. Beat the eggs and cream.
5. Add the eggs to the pan.
6. Add the herbs, unless you are using frozen, in which case add them in step 2.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Serve with grilled cheese or buttered toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment