Tuesday 8 March 2011

Fish and Prawn Pie

Yes, this is a vegetarian blog. But as I wrote in the last post, I sometimes make fish dishes. I made this fish and prawn pie a few weeks ago when we had a friend over. I’ll make a prawn-less version for a seafood-averse friend’s birthday later this month. It got good reviews, so I thought it was worth posting anyway.

Ingredients:
oil
300-400 g puff pastry
50 g butter
50 g flour
3 tsp ground mustard
300 ml liquid (I used a combination of single cream and milk, but stock, wine, cider, or ale could be used as well)
100 g frozen peas (or peas and/or corn)
200 g frozen prawns
1 onion
500 g fish (I used cod and smoked, undyed haddock)
black pepper

Instructions:
1. Oil a casserole dish. Roll out the pastry and place it in the dish so the sides hang over (you will use them to fold over the fish).
2. Melt the butter over low heat in a large pot and then make a roux by adding the flour and mustard to it. Add the liquid and mix well.
3. Add the frozen vegetables and prawns and cook so they defrost.
4. Dice the onion and the fish and add all that to the pot.
5. Season with black pepper.
6. Pour into the dish and fold the pastry over.
7. Bake at 200 C for about 30 minutes, until the pastry turns golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment