Sunday 6 March 2011

Spelt Rolls

We were having a friend over for dinner and I wanted to serve a simple salad with some rolls to start with. I loved the idea of warm rolls coming fresh from the oven. I envisioned butter melting into the yeasty interiors. So this is what I came up with. M and I also ate some of the rolls toasted with cheddar cheese and that was great too.

Ingredients:
2 tsp yeast
2 tsp honey or agave
1 tsp salt
1½ cups lukewarm water
2 cups flour
1 1/3 cup spelt flour
salt, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or other topping, as desired

Instructions:
1. Whisk the yeast, honey or agave, salt and water. Add the flours and combine well, until it has formed a sticky dough.
2. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise for an hour or so.
3. Knead on a flour-covered surface or in the mixer for a few minutes. Shape into rolls.
4. Sprinkle the rolls with any topping desired, then leave to rise for another 30 minutes.
5. Bake at 180 C for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment