Monday 21 March 2011

Low-Gluten Olive Focaccia

In my effort to make dishes that are gluten-free or at least quite low in gluten, I am working on some new baking recipes. I tried to make my olive bread gluten-free but what I hadn’t taken into consideration was the role the gluten plays in the bread. So I ended up with a flat focaccia rather than a puffy loaf. I’ve since understood that xanthan gum helps compensate for the loss of the gluten, so playing around with that will be my next step.

But actually, this recipe turned out quite well and was tasty. We had it with soup, but it could easily be served with hummus or cottage cheese or another spread.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour (I used 1 cup of spelt flour and 1 cup of gluten-free flour but 2 cups of gluten-free flour would be fine too)
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp fast-action yeast
¾ cup warm water
5 tbsp olive oil
¾ cup olives
sea salt

Instructions:
1. Mix the dry ingredients together.
2. Add the water and the olive oil and blend until just mixed. Leave to rise for about 30 minutes, or until doubled.
3. Chop the olives.
4. Turn the bread out on a floured surface and knead. Add the olives. Sprinkle with sea salt.
5. Leave to rise for another 30 minutes.
6. Flatten the bread out so it is round and low. Bake at 200 C for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment