Tuesday 3 May 2011

Asparagus Tart

I used to think I disliked asparagus. That might be because I was used to having it covered in cheese sauce and there wasn’t anything inspiring about that. Last year, however, my sweetheart got me to try to some local asparagus and then I was converted. I was so excited when asparagus season started this spring and I’ve been making a number of different asparagus recipes so I can make the most of this wonderful veg.

I really enjoy cooking seasonally – it make sense for all sorts of reasons, of course, but also I find that it inspires creativity. It’s as though you’re writing a haiku or a sonnet rather than in free verse; you’re putting limits on yourself, but sometimes that helps you create something you wouldn’t have otherwise done.

Ingredients:
ready-made puff pastry
2 onions
3-5 garlic cloves
oil
1 tsp sugar
100 g goat cheese
2 bunches asparagus

Instructions:
1. Roll out the puff pastry and place it in an oven-safe dish. Bake for 5 minutes at 160 C.
2. Dice the onions and garlic cloves and lightly brown them in oil. Add the sugar after a few minutes. Then put the onions over the puff pastry.
3. Slice or crumble the goat cheese over the onions.
4. Wash the asparagus and trim off the woody bits. Place the asparagus over the cheese.
5. Bake for about 12 minutes at 160 C.

No comments:

Post a Comment