Wednesday 18 May 2011

Queer Films

A friend gave me and M a trial membership to Love Film and so we’ve been seeing some films. It’s been enjoyable and I think the service is really good – it’s much cheaper and more convenient than going to a place like Blockbuster, and you can keep the films as long as you want.

Anyway, we’ve been trying to see some LGBT films and one of the first ones was “I Can’t Even Think Straight”. I wouldn’t recommend this one; we both found the acting quite stiff and poor, although some of that may have been due to the less-than-realistic dialogue that plagued parts of the film. It’s about a wealthy Middle Eastern woman, Tala, who is in the midst of her fourth engagement. She meets an English woman of Indian ancestry, Leyla, and the predictable happens. They never really discuss their sexuality or what is happening to them; Tala feels she can’t break off yet another engagement and that she can’t be out in her family and society. Leyla manages to come out to her family (which causes some terrible acting from the woman who plays her mother) and finds another girlfriend.

I won’t tell you how it ends, but you can probably guess. I don’t know if we need lots of coming-out films; I’d rather see films about queers who are happily going about their lives. But I suppose this movie might still be useful or inspirational in some cultures.

We watched this with my mother when she was visiting and she thought the acting and storyline were so bad that she just sat next to us and read a book instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment