Sunday 22 May 2011

Review of Silicone Bread ‘Tin’

I’d long wanted to try the silicone baking products, because I imagined they wouldn’t need much greasing and would release the products easily. So when M got me a silicone bread ‘tin’, I was excited. But then I tried it (for the olive and sun-dried bread I posted a couple of days ago), and it disappointed me.

The ‘tin’ was not that firm and it didn’t hold the form of the bread. I made a couple of loaves and both times, the rubbery walls of the mould bent outwards from the weight of the batter, which meant that the loaves looked a bit like squat mushrooms. They tasted fine, but I wasn’t impressed with the look. My sweetie thinks that if I put the silicone mould on a baking tray, that will help it keep the shape a bit better, so I might try that next.

The silicone did make it easy to get the bread out, however.

I was glad to try the silicone product, but it wasn’t quite up to my standards. I wonder if a different brand would be better or if smaller batches (such as for cookies or muffins) would suit silicone more, since the batter would be less heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment