Tuesday 7 December 2010

Creamed Corn

I usually love to cook, but after a sleepless night and a long day at work, I wasn’t feeling particularly inspired. There were ingredients in the fridge, but none of them appealed to me. I wanted something fast and comforting. So I peeked into the freezer.

I saw frozen corn kernels. And suddenly I remembered creamed corn. Not the gross, almost syrupy tinned stuff that your mother might heat on the stove and serve as a side with a hunk of meat, but real creamed corn, lightly sweet, crunchy, soothing. A dish good enough to stand on its own, not as an afterthought.

It only takes a few minutes to pull this together and it uses ingredients you most likely already have on hand, so it’s good for a weeknight. I turned it into a sauce that I served over pasta, but more on that tomorrow!

Ingredients:
½ bag frozen corn kernels
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp sugar
½ cup milk (use cream if you want it even richer)
freshly ground black pepper
sea salt

Instructions:
1. Lightly warm the corn in a saucepan over low heat until thawed (about 5-10 minutes).
2. Add the butter and sugar and stir.
3. Add the milk and continue to warm, stirring now and then.
4. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment