Wednesday 8 December 2010

Pasta with Artichokes and Creamed Corn

I remember loving the “green noodles” my mother used to make when I was a child. The dish was simply spinach tagliatelle (the pasta has no noticeable spinach taste, but the colour is spring-like and lovely) with shredded cheese over it. My mother served it with lamb chops and I can’t explain why the dish appealed to me so much, but it created a lasting memory for me. When I went away to university, I used to request that my mother make “green noodles” for me when I came home for a visit.

When I saw fresh spinach tagliatelle on sale at the grocery store, I thought of mother and picked up a bag. One night, I made a simple tomato and pine nut sauce for it. Half the bag made enough food for me and M to have dinner plus leftovers for lunch. I wanted to do something else with the tagliatelle on the second night, which is the evening when I was hankering for comfort food and made creamed corn.

So I thought I’d turn the corn into a sauce. Artichokes go well with corn, so I added them too. A sprinkle of a medium cheddar finished the dish off. It certainly wasn’t my mother’s “green noodles”, but M and I liked it just fine. Instead of being relegated to the side while meat took the pride of place, my “green noodles” were a meal in and of themselves.

Ingredients:
creamed corn (see yesterday’s post)
200 g spinach tagliatelle
5-6 artichoke hearts
30 g cheddar

Instructions:
1. Make the creamed corn according to the post yesterday.
2. Boil the pasta. Meanwhile, chop the artichokes.
3. Drain the pasta, then mix it with the creamed corn and the artichokes.
4. Grate the cheddar and add it to the pasta, then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment