Wednesday 1 December 2010

Goat’s Cheese Soufflé

I saw a recipe for a cheese soufflé and decided to adjust it to our tastes. Soufflés look very impressive when they come out of the oven all puffy, wafting delicious smells, and their warm, gooiness is sophisticated comfort food. I served this with the roasted root vegetable side dish I posted about yesterday and M really enjoyed the meal. She usually praises anything I make, which I think is just because she’s biased in my favour, but she particularly liked this soufflé. And of course I want my sweetheart to be happy, so I count this meal as a success.

This recipe can be varied in terms of what type of cheese you include and what herbs, if any, you use to season it. If you use a heavier cheese, shred it first.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp basil (or other herb if you prefer)
50 g butter, plus extra for greasing the pan
1/8 cup flour
2 cups milk
150 g goat’s cheese
4 eggs, separated
sea salt
black pepper

Instructions:
1. Chop the basil and fry it in the butter. Add the flour and stir for a few minutes. Then take it off the heat and milk in the milk and cheese.
2. When the mixture has cooled, add the yolks. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Whisk the egg whites and then gently fold them into the mixture.
4. Butter an oven-safe pan and pour the mixture into it. Bake at 200 C for about 30 minutes, until golden and puffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment