Friday 3 December 2010

Root Vegetable and Apple Soup

Another cold, wintry day. Time, then, for another batch of soup. Not long ago, M brought home a bottle of carrot-apple juice. The carroty taste was a bit strong for me, but I liked the combination. So I decided to make a root vegetable soup that was sweetened and softened with the addition of a couple of apples.

Carrots, a parsnip or two, and apples, pureed with parsley and served with a dollop of yogurt: a milder take on the carrot-apple juice, warm, and healthy. Perfect on a snowy day.

Ingredients:
5 carrots
1 parsnip
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp parsley
1 vegetable stock cube
1 litre water
2 apples (I like the Pink Lady type, but then I would, wouldn’t I? Red would be fine too.)
yogurt or crème fraiche

Instructions:
1. Peel and dice the carrots and parsnip. Put them with the butter, parsley, and stock cube in a pot over medium heat. Cook for a moment or two, then add the water.
2. Boil for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables soften. Meanwhile, dice the apples, then add them.
3. Puree everything into a smooth soup, then serve with dollops of yogurt or crème fraiche.

No comments:

Post a Comment