Thursday 2 December 2010

Tiramisu

On a recent Saturday, I was feeling low. I’d had a lot of expenses lately and was feeling like things just weren’t going right for me. As I told M, she was the one good thing that happened to me all this year.

So a pick-me-up was needed. And what better pick-me-up is there than tiramisu, which literally means “pick-me-up”? Why is it a pick-me-up? Because it contains caffeine and sugar, so you do get a bit of a high from it. Some people add alcohol, too, though I don’t. And when you’re feeling low, a fattening and energising dish can really help. Well, at least it helps your head, if it doesn’t help your waistline!

My problems weren’t solved by a bowlful of tiramisu, but I did feel a bit better!

Ingredients:
3 egg yolks
¼ cup sugar, plus 2 tsp sugar
1/3 cup milk
220 g mascarpone cheese
½ cup cream
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 package lady finger (or savoiardi) biscuits
¼ cup coffee or espresso
cocoa powder

Instructions:
1. Whisk the yolks with the ¼ cup sugar in a saucepan. Add the milk and bring to a boil. Boil for just a minute, stirring the whole time. When it has cooled, mix the mascarpone into it.
2. Whisk the cream, the 2 tsp sugar, and the vanilla extract until fluffy with a hand mixer.
3. Slice the biscuits in half lengthwise and soak in coffee so they become soft.
4. Place a layer of biscuits on the bottom of a dish. Add a layer of the mascarpone, then a layer of whipped cream. Sprinkle with cocoa powder. Add a second layer of each item, then sprinkle with more cocoa powder. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment