Sunday 5 December 2010

Progress

I was Skyping with some relatives recently. They asked what I’d been up to over the weekend. I shrugged and said not much, mainly due to the inclement weather This was in itself true. However, I let them think that I’d been up to not much all on my own.

That is to say, I didn’t mention M.

My relatives were probably feeling sorry for me. They must have thought, “Poor thing. Working all the time and now stuck at home all alone because of the weather, too. She needs a life.”

I have a small family. Some of them know about M and some don’t. Those who don’t know are people who are conservative or who wouldn’t get it or accept it. And of those who do know, most don’t really mention it or ask about her. None of them have met her.

I felt very sad after this conversation. I couldn’t say to my family via Skype, “Yes, I was stuck at home. But it was fine. I was with my beloved, and she makes everything better.” Instead, I just had to let them think I was lonely, and alone, when actually I’m neither.

Some years ago, I couldn’t have walked down the street, holding M’s hand. I couldn’t have introduced her to colleagues and friends as my partner. Clearly, lots of progress has been made. But it hasn’t been enough. One day, I’d love to Skype with my family and to have M sitting next to me, chatting with them. Maybe this will be the case, some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment